Use the search bar to locate stories about our guests, volunteers, events, pop tab collections and volunteer groups.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Chilling Sounds

There is one sound I dread. Nothing can rattle me to the core or give me spine-tingling chills like the sound of a helicopter overhead. At the Ronald McDonald Houses, it can be an hourly occurrence. And every time the walls rattle and I hear that methodic “swoosh swoosh” of the blades, I stop what I'm doing and say a little prayer. That sound means someone is critically ill or injured, and often times, that is a child whose family will soon be a guest at the Ronald McDonald House.

Once anyone has spent any time at our House, the sound of a helicopter will take on a whole new meaning. Often times, it seems like the rattling walls and our vacancies are directly connected—the more times we hear the helicopter the more guests we have. Whether it's true or not is a mathematical challenge for those more stastically-savvy than myself.

But I do know, there is nothing more heart-wrenching than meeting a parent for the first time who has just landed by helicopter. They are unprepared, unsure, and overwhelmed. They are also frightened, shocked, and numb, and they are coming to us because they need a temporary new home. We do our best not to cry along with them, sometimes we fail.

So no—I don't like the sound of helicopters overhead. I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to the “swoosh swoosh” and what it potentially means. I am glad, however, that we can be a safe place for the families attached to those journeys, even if we end up shedding tears.

Jamie Martinson
House Manager

1 comment:

  1. It is easy for those of us that don't experience the pain and sorrow that accompanies the helicopters landing at the hospitals nearby to blithely go about our day with barely a thought to the sound. Thank you for reminding me and others what that sound really means, and for being a safe haven for the families.

    ReplyDelete