Use the search bar to locate stories about our guests, volunteers, events, pop tab collections and volunteer groups.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Precious Life

I know first-hand the sort of excitement that goes along with the birth of a new baby.  There is nothing quite like the excitement and anticipation that a new life brings.  As a mommy, I still tear up thinking about that initial moment when I looked at my boys for the first time.  Relief, joy, pride and hope rushed through me.  I laughed and sobbed all at the same time.  They took my breath away, and calm covered me.  I knew life had just gotten better.  

I think moments like this are taken for granted, though.  Not every mom gets the chance to feel same peacefulness at the birth of their child.  Sometimes the new life brings unforeseen complication and confusion and all the emotion that comes with the unexpected.  Sometimes the arrival of a new little person does not initially seem to make life better.  

A few weeks ago, I met a family who was coming to the charity after the birth of their baby girl.  After talking with Grandma, I found out the baby was born with a rare disorder—osteogenesis imperfecta or brittle bone disease.   The family didn’t know what would happen once their precious girl entered this world.  They were scared and taking every development one day at time.

This past weekend, Grandma and Grandpa came back for another stay.   Their baby granddaughter turned one-month old!  The family looked triumphant like they conquered a mountain!  This was a moment they were celebrating.  I joined in the hugs and smiles and watched as the family prepared her first Christmas stocking and tree to take to the hospital.  I couldn’t help but get teary-eyed as I remembered doing the same things for my boys during their first holiday season.  Everything was so new!  For my husband and me, it felt like it was our first Christmas, too.  We were complete.  

As the family walked out the door carrying their Christmas goodies, there was a calm that rushed through the house.  So many ups, so many downs over the past few weeks, but in the end, life is better because this precious little girl is in it.

Jamie Martinson
House Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment